Electronics Use Policy
Francis Lewis High School Cell Phone Policy
(Adopted March 2, 2015 in consultation with School Leadership Team)
Students are permitted to bring the following electronic items to school: 1) cell phones; 2) laptops, tablets, iPads and other similar computing devices, however theymay not be visible/audible at any time.
- If the electronic device is visible/audible in a classroom it will be confiscated. If it is visible/audible anywhere other than the classroom in the building it is subject toconfiscation.
- If the device is confiscated it may be retrieved no sooner than the end of the next school day in room148A.
- A second offense resulting in confiscation is subject to parental pick-up only. Parental pick-up is scheduled only for Fridays between 8am and 12pm in room 148A.
The use of cell phones, computing devices and portable music and entertainment systems at school is subject to the following additional conditions:
- Cell phones and portable music and entertainment systems may not be turned on or used during the administration of any school quiz, test or examination.
- Cell phones are prohibited in the testing room during State Examinations such as Regents; all phones will be collected by the proctor before the exam begins. If you are foundin possession of any electronic device during a State exam the exam will be invalidated and will not count. Additional disciplinary action will also be taken.
- Computing devices may not be turned on or used during the administration of any school quiz, test or examination, except where such use has been explicitly authorized by the school or is contained in an Individualized Education Program or Section 504 Accommodation Plan.
- Cell phones, computing devices, and portable music and entertainment systems may not be turned on or used during school fire drills or other emergency preparednessexercises.
- Cell phones, computing devices, and portable music and entertainment systems may not be used in locker rooms or bathrooms.
- Students who use cell phones, computing devices, and/or portable music and entertainment systems in violation of any provision of the DOE’s Discipline Code, the school’spolicy, Chancellor’s regulation A-413, and/or the DOE’s Internet Acceptable Use and Safety Policy (“IAUSP”) will be subject to discipline in accordance with the guidanceinterventions and disciplinary responses set forth in the Discipline Code.